Edited & Annotated by John M. Souders
The Burning Cow Question and Other Tales from the Waterford Town Council, 1891 to 1909. $5.25 / $3.55 shipping. Includes tax.
· Paperback Dimensions: 7 x 8.5 inches
· Publisher: Waterford Foundation (2000)
Two decades of town government in Waterford are distilled into this entertaining book, omitting much of the repetitive bureaucratic prose of the minutes themselves. To round out and enliven the portrait of the village glimpsed in those pages, John Souders has added background, context and occasional commentary. He has also woven in the recorded memories of residents who experienced these times first hand. Packed into these pages are answers to questions about Waterford, Virginia that, in the gay nineties, one was too polite to ask:
• Just how much manure is too much?
• What happened when the post-election jollification got out of hand?
• How did the ladies soil their balbriggans?
• Was the livery stable really a den of sin ?
Nothing is held back in the exclusive probe into the long-hidden files of Waterford’s old Town Council.