Quaker Meeting Log Book
About the Book
Fairfax Meeting of Friends, Waterford, Virginia
Visitor Log book: 6th Mo (June) 28, 1761- 11th Mo (November) 1812
Original donated to Waterford Foundation Local History Collection by David Chamberlin on September 14, 2006; partial set of pages scanned by archivist Edith Crockett; copy transcribed and indexed by Bronwen C. Souders, Education Committee, Waterford Foundation, September 15-November 25, 2006.
Spelling, capitalization, punctuation and spacing are as in original. Names enlarged as in original; dates and places bold-faced for clarity; years are underlined. When searching for a name, check all possible spelling variants; there were different clerks in the course of the document and many names were spelled phonetically. Page numbers in index refer to the typed transcription, not the original document. “Page numbers” of original document—while not marked in the original on every page, are indicated in the transcription by a bracketed page number or as, for example, 23rd page, right” in bold type.
The document has no cover, there are two handstitched leaflets (6 Mo 28 1761-4 Mo 28th 1770 and 4th Mo 21st 1773-11th Mo 1812) with a three year gap between dates; the first two pages are loose; the rest in fragile and brittle condition.
The pages measure 6” x 7 ¼”. BCS
The Fairfax Meeting of Friends Log Book was partially refurbished. Funded with donations by supporters, the book was taken to Cat Tail Run Hand Bookbinding in Winchester. Cat Tail Run dismantled the book and restored each page using a process similar to the one in the video below using extremely thin oriental paper. See before and after images of restored pages below. Read more about Cat Tail Run Hand Bookbinding techniques.
The Waterford Foundation now has possession of the separated pages and the parts of the original binding. The next part of the project will be to have the pages rebound.