African-American James Lewis (born circa 1800) probably erected this house around 1850. In 1865 Quakers Frank and Mary “Mollie” Dutton Steer bought it, then sold it to Joseph Divine (1841-1933) in 1875. Divine ran a wheelwright shop across the street for many years; he apprenticed with Reuben Schooley before joining the Union Army and did not retire until he was 83. Early in the Civil War he interrupted his long career to join the Loudoun Rangers, a locally raised federal cavalry unit. The home has been substantially enlarged in recent years.
Excerpt from Walk With Us a walking tour of Waterford